cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [FYI] Orbeon google keyword for cocoon
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2005 07:07:34 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:

>FYI, in the "competition is the sincerest form of flattery" dept:
>
>People who are subscribed to the list through gmail may have noticed
>that the following ad from orbeon is showing up in the "Sponsored
>Links" area.  Presumably they have bought a google ad word for
>"cocoon"?
>
>www.orbeon.com - Considering Apache Cocoon? Check out the OXF XML Platform

At the ObjectWebCon last week, I met Erik Bruchez, one of the developers
of Orbeon. A kind guy, with which I had interesting and very open
discussions.

Orbeon started after they tried Cocoon and decided they didn't like some
parts of it, mainly on the way it handles pipelines (but IIRC it was
Cocoon 1.x). Their way of expressing pipelines (describing the component
chains through URL linking) is interesting even if IMO less readable
than the sitemap. What I don't like however, is the single XForm
instance that is used as a kind of object model, and gathers in a single
DOM all application data, be it controller data or business data.

Ah, and OPS ("Orbeon Presentation Server") which has been opensourced a
while ago is in the process of becoming an ObjectWeb project. So that
may make an aggressive competitor (from the marketing POV), even if
Cocoon has waaaay more features, developers, references, etc than
Orbeon. Orbeon has good docs, though ;-)

Sylvain