cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <>
Subject Re: sitemap, jx and flow design
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:13:47 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>> Now for the instructions (jx:forEach etc) we have the question if they
>> should be choosed:
>> 1. Programatically: There is an abstract base class with common
>> template generator functionality. To implement e.g. JXTG this base
>> class is extended. And the extended class enumerates the instructions
>> that should be used and also choose parsing strategy etc.
>> 2. Configuration: Instructions or set of instructions are made
>> components and connected to the template generator in the configuration.
>> 3. Within the template language: There are special instructions in
>> some common base template language that allow the user to include sets
>> of (Java written) instructions.
>> I would prefer the configuration way find the programatic way ok and
>> be against the within the template language way.
>> WDYT?
> This really looks like just an implementation detail... I would think
> that the configuration way makes it easier (psycologically) for people
> to add their own instructions than the other two. #1 is cleaner than #3
> and less avalonish than #2.
> I'm not thrilled with the idea of people adding their own keywords to
> the template language... just like the sitemap, it should be possible
> but not easy, so that people would feel discouradged to do it. So
> probably #1 would be my choice.

Sitemap currently is configured with an XML file which describes all sitemap
keywords (sitemap-language.xml), and we do not hear about folks messing with it.
So I'd say #2 is good too, as long as configuration is a reference to a
configuration file which is tucked into cocoon.jar - same as for the sitemap.

View raw message