cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FOM & input modules
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:58:41 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Hmm, the question is: how can a pluggable object model work - or how
> can it be extended? What about using...input modules for exactly this?
> We create a way of "mounting" input modules into the object model,
> like this:
> <object-model>
>   <mount input-module="skin" path="cocoon.skin"/>
> </object-model>
>
> And then you can simple access the info by ${cocoon.skin.something}.

I like it. Object model and input modules are just different names for
similar things: accessing environmental data. Also, it's better to
attach IMs to the cocoon object rather than as root variables, as it
avoids name clashes with template variables.

Something we have to be careful of, though, is that properties of the
cocoon object comes both from the OM (request, response, context) and
modules, and that it should be forbidden to have IMs having the same
name as OM keys.

I also would like to insist on the fact that FOM (flow object model) is
nothing more than OM (object model) that we have everywhere in Cocoon,
but rewrapped as JS objects. So we should better concentrate on the OM
itself and let its JS counterpart follow its evolutions.

Sylvain