cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: sitemap, jx and flow design (was: servicemanager and jxtg)
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:44:09 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

>> <generate type="jx" src="..">
>>  <parameter name="userprofile" dom="{cocoon:/userprofile}"/>
>> </generate>
> You could do it from a flowscript, whats the problem with that?

Wait. You can do a lot of things with flow, but I also think that we
should not forget about what we already have.

The sitemap already contains input modules and as much as I was not
thrilled by them, I came to agree that sometimes they are very useful,
because while flow is great for stateful content, using it for stateless
dispatching looks really like a waste and I think we are pushing flow so
much that people will start to abuse it as a procedural dispatch mechanism.

What you are asking and what Éric is asking are two different things: he
is asking to allow better integration between sitemap and data
generation and you are telling him that "thou shall use flow".

There are situations where using flow doesn't make sense at all and
sitemaps still feel like the best tool for the job.

What Éric proposes is a reasonable and back-compatible extention to the
sitemap semantics that would allow much easier reuse of pipeline
machinery for internal data generation and consumption.

This has nothing to do the template language design.

View raw message