cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: xml languages
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:28:24 GMT
Leszek Gawron wrote:

>>> -1. Don't think this is a possibility; as noted above, templates
>>> should be side effect free.
>>
>> Glad that you agree :) Eric and Leszek are not convinced at all and
>> want real assignment.
>
> Not 100% true. When introducing the assignment I have always thought
> about JXTG internal variables. I did not realize it could be also used
> to modify the model passed to the view. So how about the solution that
> the execution context has 2 levels on the start:

<snip/>

I think I was not clear enough; I'm against allowing jx:set to change value of
any internal to JXTG variable too. This will force you to do more complicated
stuff (which is usually done using procedural approach) somewhere outside of
JXTG, and in JXTG you use jx:set similarly to XSLT's xsl:variable, to hold
immutable computed value within current execution scope.

Vadim