cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: sitemap, jx and flow design (was: servicemanager and jxtg)
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:15:33 GMT
BURGHARD √Čric wrote:

<snip/>

>Ok. So what about turning on the ability to pass dom inside sitemap
>parameters ?
>
>1) pipeline more clear
>
><generate type="jx" src="..">
>  <parameter name="auth" dom="{session-context:authentication}"/>
></generate>

I don't get why you are so obsessed with being able to do everything
from the sitemap. Once, when the community started to develop Cocoon in
a direction to better support webapps there was the question if we
should put more abilities to have control stuff in the pipeline or if
this should be done in a separate system, the flowscript. Had we chosen
the sitemap way we would have need to put more mechanisms in the sitemap
to preserve nice SOC. That was the way I prefered back then.

Now we have gone the flowscript way and I'm completely happy with that.
There are nummerous good reasons for that decision and some good reason
against it. But in some way that doesn't matter anymore. What is much
more important is that we focus our energy on making Cocoon realy smooth
and efficient to use along the choosen direction. Trying to support
several similar ways of achieving the same things only disolve our energy.

Whats important to notice for software development is that if enough
talented people choose an at least somewhat reasonable direction and
focus on, it _makes_ the direction a good direction after a while. To be
worthwhile to backtrack and chose another direction must lead to very
large advantages to be anything else but destructive.

Conclusion: the current direction is that objects and control are
handled in flowscript rather than pipelines. Let us focus on making that
smooth rather than confusing our users and ourselves about where things
should be done.

>2) servicemanager, $request, $session useless in jx (pass parameters
>explicitly in the sitemap like you use to do with SendPage in flow). SoC
>preserved.
>
>3) inversion of control not broken. (Exception triggered from the sitemap).
>You can remove java object access from jx since they are used for breaking
>this IoC and SoC.

Ok, you have removed the "programming" from JXTG and put it in the
sitemap instead, whats the gain?

>We use to do (well, a bad habit :-)
><jx:set><jx:import src="cocoon:/userprofile"/></jx:set>
>inside templates. This break SoC and IoC too.
>
>Oceatoon (tibor ;-) make me think of another advantage of passing dom with
>parameters.
>
><generate type="jx" src="..">
>  <parameter name="userprofile" dom="{cocoon:/userprofile}"/>
></generate>

You could do it from a flowscript, whats the problem with that?

>which is much more readeable and doesn't break anything.
>
>WDYT ?

No thanks ;)

/Daniel