cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: servicemanager and jxtg
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:46:33 GMT
Glen Ezkovich wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2005, at 12:33 PM, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>> First I think that
>> CForms is great in many ways and does an excelent job. But IMO its
>> architecture is a severe mixture of concerns and rather monolitic.
>> There is no clear separation between model, view and control. IMO it
>> should never have emited any SAX events at all. Producing XML is a
>> concern for the view layer e.g. a set of JXTG macros.

Here, replace jxtg with FormsTransformer.

>> If it had been a
>> "passive" model it would have been much easier to write the JXTG
>> macros and no hacks would have been required.
>
> Since CForms is an integral part of Cocoon, maybe it is time to handle
> them directly in JXTG and not with macros. I don't know.

Don't think it is a good idea. CForms might be really nice, but still it just
another external to the Cocoon Core block. Jxtg, OTOH, is part of the Core. Core
should not be dependent on each and every block out there.

Additionally, CForms has nice FormsTransformer the only downside of which is
that it is too monolithic, and has couple of limitations. A bit of refactoring
and an expression language from refactored jxtg is all it needs, imho.

Vadim