cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [status/roadmap] JXTG Refactoring
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:03:10 GMT
Leszek Gawron wrote:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>>> There is one big thing asked many times for: jx:attribute
>>> implementation. AFAIU the implementation is not that trivial at all:
>>> <foo>
>>>   <jx:attribute name="fooattr" value="barattr"/>
>>> </foo>
>>>
>>> This is the most simple case. Still you have to cache all ignorable
>>> whitespace awaiting possible jx:attribute. This may affect
>>> performance and raise memory allocation per script invocation.
>>
>> Hmm, can't we just throw away the ignorable whitespaces between the
>> start element and the jx:attribute?
>
> Wouldn't this break the functionality for those who serialize template
> output to text?

In the general case you are right, I just thought on the whitespaces
between an element and the jx:attribute that works on the element.

In such cases you probably don't want the spaces anyway.

Whitespaces between instructions are in most cases more about formatting
than something you want in your output.

I think current XSLT implementations shows that it is very hard to get
nice and intuitive whitespace handling :/

/Daniel