cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: FOM & input modules
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:50:09 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>>
>>> Please note that I'm not suggesting to remove the current input
>>> modules. This is all about making Cocoon more coherent, not about
>>> introducing back incompability. If we find a good way to replace
>>> input modules I would suggest that we move them from core to an
>>> input module block so that they become optional.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>
>> Having only one input module that uses a Cocoon wide object model is
>> IMO a good idea. We should go through the list of all input modules
>> and look where it makes sense to extend the object model.
>>
>> Creating a modules block that contains all existing input modules for
>> backwards-compatibility sounds good to me too.
>>
>> One question remains: Should it be allowed to add your
>> project-specific extenstions to the object model?
>
> Yes :)
>
>> e.g. I like to use chained input modules (i18n issues) or my own
>> constants input modules.
>>
> Hmm, the question is: how can a pluggable object model work - or how
> can it be extended? What about using...input modules for exactly this?
> We create a way of "mounting" input modules into the object model,
> like this:
> <object-model>
>   <mount input-module="skin" path="cocoon.skin"/>
> </object-model>
>
> And then you can simple access the info by ${cocoon.skin.something}.

Thats ok for me. Any ideas about how to implement it? Right now the we
have the FlowObjectModelHelper that just take an object model and
creates a ExpressionContext (as you implemented most of it you already
know this ;) ). I guess we should make the $cocoon part of the template
object model a component so that we can configure it and don't have to
create it from scratch for each use of it. But at the same time it must
depend on the current object model. Any ideas about how to do that?

/Daniel