cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: WishFull thinking JX and SessionContext Authentication
Date Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:34:09 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Leszek Gawron wrote:
>
>> don't we have a pluggable object model ? :))
>>
>> function doIt() {
>>   var objectModel = {};
>>
>>   objectModel.pluggedIn1 = entityFromDatabase();
>>   objectModel.pluggedIn2 = request.getParameter( "skin" );
>>
>>   cocoon.sendPage( "view/myview.jx", objectModel );
>> }
>>
>> Other data that is not directly available from flow (like
>> authentication context can be accessed with input modules that are
>> already available).
>>
> And this is exactly my problem :)
> With this approach you have to get all the data for each
> cocoon.sendPage() and store it somewhere. If you use a lot of flow this
> creates a maintenance nightmare. Of course you could provide your own
> sendPage() function that does all the work, but it's not a nice way of
> doing it.
>
> So why not defining plugins for the object model somewhere and as soon
> as you use them in your template they are queried to provide information.
>
> Carsten

If so I would go even further:
I had a publishing project where EVERY bizData had to have a lot of
entities and configuration variables stored. So each time you prepared
data for the view you had to do:

var bizData = prepareBizData();
bizData.additional = "sth";
cocoon.sendPage( "view.jx", bizData );

prepareBizData() mostly fetched data via hibernate and performed very
easy condition checking.

It would be nice if we could introduce some kind of data "aspects" so
every objectModel gets appropriate entries without explicitly creating
them every time. My usecase was simple but we can dig more ie. every
user management page has to have acces to user roles list while every
other page needs the currently logged in user.