cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] Cocoon documentation system
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:26:15 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> As for french docs, I *strongly* think that we should do this thru
> content-negotiation rather than URL design. A person accessing the page
> with a french browser will get the page in french, that's all they have
> to know

Can you rely that each person in France will have "french" browser? Can you rely
that each french speaking Canadian will have "french" browser? I'm really
curious as I've never seen "accept-language" header used at all (probably
because nobody I knew had "russian" browser).

> (and the page will have a series of flags that will trigger an
> overload in locale, but that's going to be a parameter of the URL, not
> part of it).

One thing I noticed is that it's harder to be cache friendly when page content
variates depending on session attribute ("locale" in this case), and /en/
segment makes it trivial to support reverse proxies.

How do you propose to solve this without uri segment - by preserving this
request parameter, adding it to each link? Or do you see a better way?

Vadim