cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] Cocoon documentation system
Date Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:54:33 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:
>> People, again, let's be brave and get this of this silly "pure java"
>> nonsense. the JNI connector works. Today!
>

> ...maybe for you :-/ ...maybe now
>
> We had so many problems with subclipse under linux that
> we finally went back to the commandline! ...maybe it's
> worth giving it another try. But a few months ago subclipse
> with JNI was just a PITA.

Of course using JNI will result in more pain than a pure java library
and if there was such a thing, I would not hesisate to use that one instead.

But such a library does not exist and it's very unlikely to ever exist
and the reason is that as much as you can say the opposite the SVN
protocol is 'special' and the SVN project is the only producer of *all*
the cliens and language API hooks that exist out there.

even if somebody wrote such a library, since the SVN controls both sides
of the equation, they will change it when they have to. And you have to
play catchup.

Personally, I'd rather spend a few hours on getting a JNI library work
(it's not that hard, I've tried) than a few months in writing a new
library and a few years playing catchup.

But, hey, I'm lazy :-)

--
Stefano.