cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Importing libraries from ibiblio
Date Sat, 15 Jan 2005 00:09:03 GMT
On 14.01.2005 23:51, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

>>> What that means is that we can create the list of jars to download
>>> from our jars.xml or the gump descriptor, and have them automatically
>>> downloaded from the ibiblio repo. Very few modifications on the
>>> current build are needed.
>>>
>>> That could allow to really reduce the size of both our distro and our
>>> SVN repository.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>
>> But have in mind that the download computer is not always the install
>> computer. Or the other way around: the install computer(s) has/have
>> not necessarily access to the internet. I don't want to download all
>> the dependent libraries one by one.
>
> My idea about this wasn't deployment (although this could be useful with
> a repository on the local network) but svn and distros.

Ah, sorry, my "install computer" was not very clear. My idea was neither
about deployment, but the machine, where you develop and build your
Cocoon. I meant, if you have no access to the internet on this machine
and have to fetch the libraries from the repository on build time ...

> With dependencies fetched from a repository, we can provide 3 different
> distros:
> - source, with no dependent libraries included. This is basically a
> snapshot of the svn tree
> - small binary, with no dependent libraries included. It's up to the
> user to download the libraries that are needed for the blocks he chooses
> to use (can be automated with blocks.properties), if they aren't already
> present in his local cache.
> - full binary, with all dependent libraries included.

But providing the without-dependencies-version additionally, not
substitutingly, dispels my fears.

Joerg