cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r124693 - in cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/src: blocks/authentication-fw/java/org/apache/cocoon/webapps/authentication /configurationblocks/axis/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/axis/provi ders blocks/forms/java/org/apache/cocoon/forms/eventblocks/forms/java/org/a pache/cocoon/forms/flow/javascript blocks/forms/java/org/apache/cocoon/forms/flow/javascript/v2blocks/for ms/java/org/apache/cocoon/forms/formmodel blocks/paranoid/java/org/apache/cocoon/servletblocks/scratchpad/java/o rg/apache/cocoon/components/flow/javascript/fom blocks/scratchpad/java/org/apache/cocoon/generationblocks/web3/java/or g/apache/cocoon/components/web3/impl java/org/apache/cocoon/components/flow/javascript/fomjava/org/apache/c ocoon/servlet
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:59:32 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>
>> Please give me a little time to fix all the serialization changes. I am
>> currently using the BRANCH head in development this version and I am
>> checking if everything is working good.
>>
>> Anyway this could not harm. It is just a line on each class and we can
>> remove them if not needed before releasing.
>

> No problem, take your time. Just out of curiosity, what is your
> scenario which requires serialization?

Yes, please explain, Antonio.

Also, and we discussed this already not long ago [1], serial uid is
useful for long-lived serialized objects where there is a chance that
the class changes between serialization and deserialization. What in
Cocoon justifies this?

Furthermore, Niclas' explanation that having a serialVersionUID leads to
newly added fields to have no value seems particularily dangerous to me
if we don't take special care about this as it can lead to weird errors.

So I am -1 on adding serialVersionUIDs to Cocoon classes unless there is
a good reason for this.

Sylvain

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=110096211520254&w=2