cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Importing libraries from ibiblio
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:51:48 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> On 14.01.2005 11:06, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> What that means is that we can create the list of jars to download
>> from our jars.xml or the gump descriptor, and have them automatically
>> downloaded from the ibiblio repo. Very few modifications on the
>> current build are needed.
>>
>> That could allow to really reduce the size of both our distro and our
>> SVN repository.
>>
>> WDYT?
>

> But have in mind that the download computer is not always the install
> computer. Or the other way around: the install computer(s) has/have
> not necessarily access to the internet. I don't want to download all
> the dependent libraries one by one.

My idea about this wasn't deployment (although this could be useful with
a repository on the local network) but svn and distros.

With dependencies fetched from a repository, we can provide 3 different
distros:
- source, with no dependent libraries included. This is basically a
snapshot of the svn tree
- small binary, with no dependent libraries included. It's up to the
user to download the libraries that are needed for the blocks he chooses
to use (can be automated with blocks.properties), if they aren't already
present in his local cache.
- full binary, with all dependent libraries included.

There are a lot of projects that do this, e.g. Spring [1]. This reduces
download size, especially when there is a local repository used by a
number of different projects.

Sylvain

[1] http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=73357