cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Blocks, Flow and Dependencies [was RE: Splitting xconf files step 2: the sitemap]
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2005 00:53:05 GMT
Glen Ezkovich wrote:

> By the way, I'm curious what you think about making a block's resources
> available. There are two conflicting wiki pages.
>
> there is this
>
>>      A block exposes a sitemap and Avalon Components (both optionally)
>
> from http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/GT2003RealBlocks
>
> and this
>
>>     A block exposes two types of services:
>>     ▪      components
>>     ▪      resources
>>     ▪      pipelines ??
>
> from http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/BlocksDefinition
>
> the second of which gives the following as an example of accessing a
> resource.
>
>>       block:skin:/stylesheets/document2html.xslt

that's outdated. I started off the design thinking that blocks should
expose resources, but then Sylvain convinced us that this was just going
to create some problems because at that point you need two different
protocols one to identify the file space and the other to indentify the
URL space.

So, if you want to access a resource, use a reader on your sitemap and
you unify the approach (note that performance wise this is not a problem
since the caches run in between all this).

--
Stefano.