cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Creation of a french-speaking users list
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:46:44 GMT
Nathaniel Alfred wrote:

> [...]
but don't dare to write questions in English.

That's exactly the purpose of this list. There are two obstacles for
many of them:
- the language: they don't feel able to write correct english, even if
*we* now that it's not that hard to be understood,
- explaining their problem in public: this is more a social issue for
people not used to communicate outside of their company or workgroup.

These two obstacles combined keeps them away from our lists. Being able
to ask their questions in their native language is a way to remove one
obstacle, thus helping them finding their way to the community, and
hopefully join the english lists also.

So yes, the ultimate goal is to use this french-speaking list as an
education tool for people to join the "real and full" community.

>I also remember occasions where people were told off for posting non-English on Cocoon
mailing lists.

>I'd rather propose to make it public policy on the user list that one may post a question
in any language.  If the language is not English, the poster accepts that either

> a) the answer may be in the same language, or
> b) the answer may be in English, or
> c) there may be no answer

IMO that would be terrible, leading many people to simply leave the list
because of the low signal/noise ratio, because something written in a
language you don't understand is similar to noise.

>Cheers, Alfred (reading English/French/German/Spanish but answering only
>in English)

Impressive list!

Sylvain