cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Creation of a french-speaking users list
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:13:39 GMT
Folks,

We discussed this a bit on the PMC list, and we now need some formal
decision in the open about this.

Over time, I found many people in France using Cocoon but not subscribed
to the ASF mailing lists. I asked myself the reason for this and
discussed with some of these people.

The main reason seems to be related to language problems. Many french
people aren't fluent in english, and although they can read english
(they have to anyway if they use Cocoon), they never write in english
and therefore don't consider themselves to be able to post on an
english-speaking list. Another problem is the list traffic. Receiving
loads of mails written in a language you don't master is frightening for
many people.

Therefore, a very large part of Cocoon users in France have no link with
the community and "just use" Cocoon. And because of that, they don't use
it very well, as their only source of information is - ahem - the docs.

So I've been thinking for some time about creating a french-speaking
mailing-list and website about Cocoon. I was fearing about community
fragmentation, but I don't think this is a real problem as these people
aren't currently part of the community. On the contrary, this may create
a prolongation of the Cocoon community, both because french-speaking
people subscribed the current lists will be on the new list, and also
because it may make people more confident about their ability to post
questions on the english lists.

Yesterday, I sent a quick poll about this on two french-speaking lists
where I know there are some Cocoon users and received a very positive
feedback, with about 10 people (disclaimer: they are *not* my customers)
saying they would participate actively.

Therefore, I would like to create a new mailing list,
users-fr@cocoon.apache.org and a few pages in french on the website.
Those pages will be a translation of the introductory pages of our site,
and pointers to the mailing list and its archives. I do not plan to
provide a full translation of the website (lot of tedious work for
translating and syncing).

Bertrand already offered to moderate this list, and I of course also
volunteer for this.

Please cast your votes.

Here's my +1.

Sylvain