cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Use UGLI as logging abstraction (Re: [RT] Logging in 2.2)
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2005 15:48:55 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Torsten Curdt wrote:
>
>>> If you prefer commons logging over it, please write a technical
>>> motivation about it.
>>

>> As I already said: I don't see the point of this parameter stuff.
>

> Then don't use the parameter stuff.
>
>> IMO this only leads to mixing of concepts.
>

> What concepts? Remember that python and Java 1.5 have this capability,
> because it's useful... are they both so wrong?
>
>> Some people will
>> use the "{}" some won't. To be honest I would not feel very happy
>> with UGLI since IMHO this interface is only half-backed. Sorry.
>

> Half baked because it has "the parameter stuff"?
>
> Remember that log4j uses that interface. Is log4j also half-baked?
>
>> ...and I don't see point of getting rid of the Avalon Logger
>> dependency and introducing the UGLI dependency instead. Only
>> because we want to get rid of Avalon?
>

> Yes.
>
>> Is there any technical reason to switch from the Avalon Logger
>> abstraction?
>

> No.

People, enough bike shedding already.

Nicola, UGLI is a nice attempt and an improvement over existing stuff,
but Torsten is right: without Java 1.5/python/C unlimited parameter
passing style, it's clearly a hack.

Carsten understimated the amount of establishment (rational or
irrational) on top of the existing logging environments.

I say we move on to move important things.

--
Stefano.