cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Use UGLI as logging abstraction (Re: [RT] Logging in 2.2)
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2005 11:26:12 GMT
>> IMO this only leads to mixing of concepts.
>

> What concepts? Remember that python and Java 1.5 have this capability,
> because it's useful... are they both so wrong?

No ...it *is* useful!! ...a variable amount
of parameters!

>> Some people will
>> use the "{}" some won't. To be honest I would not feel very happy
>> with UGLI since IMHO this interface is only half-backed. Sorry.
>

> Half baked because it has "the parameter stuff"?

Either make it use the 1.5 stuff (and make
1.5 a requirement) or leave it out ...but
this mixture is what I call half baked.

> Remember that log4j uses that interface. Is log4j also half-baked?

Also with the parameters? ...wasn't aware
of that ...but my opinion would still apply.

>> ...and I don't see point of getting rid of the Avalon Logger
>> dependency and introducing the UGLI dependency instead. Only
>> because we want to get rid of Avalon?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Is there any technical reason to switch from the Avalon Logger
>> abstraction?
>
> No.

Well ...then that's no good reason to me.

Rather I would also import the few classes
into out repository (like we did with ECM)
than doing the switch.

cheers
--
Torsten