cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [RT] Escaping Sitemap Hell
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:13:46 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:

> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>

>> Is it a Map of the Site?
>> ------------------------
>>
>> The Forrest people don't think that the sitemap is enough as map of
>> the site. They have a special linkmap [1] that gives a map over the
>> site and that is used for internal navigation and for creating menu
>> trees. I have a similar view. From the sitemap it can be hard to
>> answer basic questions like:
>>
>> * What is the URL space of the application
>> * What is the structure of the URL space
>> * How is the resource refered by this URL produced
>>
>> The basic view of a URL in the sitemap is that it is any string. Even
>> if there are constructions like mount, the URL space is not
>> considered as hierarchial. That means that the URLs can be presented
>> as patterns in any order in the sitemap and you have to read through
>> all of it to see if there is a rule for a certain URL.
>>
>> A real map for the site should be tree structured like the linkmap in
>> forrest. Take a look at the example in [1], (I don't suggest using
>> the "free form" XML, something stricter is required). Such a tree
>> model will also help in planning the URI space as it gives a good
>> overview of it.
>

> Out of curiosity, have you looked at the Portal block?

Not until now. But I spent to large part of the night writing my RT to
be able to understand how everything worked together :/

>   The layout actually separates the site layout from the sitemap quite
> nicely.

Care to explain what I should look for, and in what document I find the
info?

>   Unfortunately, the Portal URLs are not cool.  I'm in the process
> right now of attempting to fix that.

Have you looked at XFrames URLs http://www.w3.org/TR/xframes/, they
adress a problem area that should be quite similar to the one you have
in portals, IIUC.

|  http://example.org/home.frm#frames(id1=uri1,id2=uri2,...)|

You need to write a parser for the frames part, but I could use that
booth in my attribute template language proposal and in the virtual
pipeline URLs that I proposed in the current thread, so it is well
invested time for me if I convince you to write such a parser ;)

/Daniel