cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Experimental lazy-loading in ECM++
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:48:40 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I (once again) did some refactoring in ECM++ to implement a
>> lazy-loading strategy for components. Using this strategy, a
>> component is loaded (including it's class) only when looked up. This
>> heavily reduces Cocoon's initialization time.
>>
> Cool!
>
> What about the components running in the background, like cron or
> hsqldb. These components are rarely looked up, but should run on startup.
> Do you test for Startable?

No, as not loading classes is part of the speed increase. I added a
preload="true" attribute on the configuration of these components, that
triggers their actual loading at startup time.

I was thinking also to adding this attribute on the role definition, as
the need for preloading can be a direct consequence of the service
definition (i.e. a scheduler must always be started), thus preventing
any omission in the xconf file.

Sylvain