cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Pushing 2.2 (was Re: Using the standard Jaxp parser in Cocoon.java)
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:59:57 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Upayavira wrote:

>>> As is leaving things alone so you don't take the risk of breaking
>>> things :-)
>>>
>> Exactly - and we should try to make sense out of our version numbers
>> especially wrt compatibility.
>

> I think we should be keeping 2.1.X as stable as possible, and be
> tidying trunk.

+1

> We therefore need to be thinking about how to get trunk released
> within a reasonable time (6 months?), and therefore be prepared to
> delay some features until 2.3 if their development is going to take
> too long.

+1 also. I think the include feature in xconf will make the pressure to
release 2.2 higher ;-)

> After all, 2.1.X is a _maintenance_ branch, but that doesn't seem too
> much like how we're using it - we're adding stuff to it that should go
> in 2.2, only because we don't know when 2.2 will be out, we're not
> happy to just have it there.

Good analysis. The problem is that trunk has not (or had not before
include) enough distinguishing features to make it really appealing
compared to 2.1. And it therefore doesn't urge us to release it, leading
new features to be added to 2.1 also as we need them on production
systems. Chicken and egg...

So raising the demand for 2.2 may simply be a matter for us developpers
to add new features only on 2.2 and use it more on realworld projects.
That will urge us to officially release it before our projects go into
production.

Sylvain