cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [LAZY-VOTE] - Java conventions in methods and class names
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2005 10:16:28 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>Hi:
>
>AFAIK, the methods names should start with a lowercase char. I found some
>classes wich methods are Capitalized:
>
>src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/xpointer/parser/TokenMgrError.java

Method names should be verbs or active forms, so LexicalError() should
be something like "createLexicalError()". But there's something more bad
in this class: it extends Error which is intended for serious problems
that a normal application should not try to handle. It really doesn't
seem to be the case here, and this should be Exception or
RuntimeException (which, as Error, doesn't need to be declared in the
throws clause).

>src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/xpointer/parser/SimpleCharStream.java
>
>I know this is a cosmetic change.
>
>I already changed the protected methods to avoid breaking compatibility.
>
>The idea to keep compatibility is deprecate the current public methods and
>create new methods starting with a lowercase char. The methods starting
>with uppercase will call the lowercased methods. They will be removed in a
>future release (perhaps 2.1.8 or 2.2).

Honestly, I'm not sure many people use these classes directly (what
for?) so IMO we don't need some deprecation plan here.

>Also there is a class wich name start with a lower case:
>
>src/blocks/itext/java/org/apache/cocoon/serialization/iTextSerializer.java
>
>can we switch it to:
>
>src/blocks/itext/java/org/apache/cocoon/serialization/ITextSerializer.java

Mmmh... in that case, this is the name of the "iText" product. Maybe
this is an acceptable exception...

Sylvain