cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Ezkovich <g...@hard-bop.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Escaping Sitemap Hell
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2005 23:38:35 GMT

On Jan 7, 2005, at 1:43 PM, Peter Hunsberger wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 14:28:06 -0500, Stefano Mazzocchi
> <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> See? the problem is that you are partitioning the matching space with
>> URL matchers... I strongly feel that most of the problems that Daniel
>> (and you) are outlining will just go away if you used non-URL
>> matchers.
>
> Although I agree that 90% of the problem seems to be a matcher issue
> I've got to ask; what would the matchers be matching on if it's not a
> URL?  I have a couple answers, but I'd like other opinions...
>
> It seems to me that Daniel might be coming at this from a mostly
> application POV.  If so, for such cases, I think you can't _always_ be
> quite as dogmatic about how a URL is structured; for many apps there's
> little to no exectation of long term URI persistance/repeatability.

I don't see this. The application is the resource and it is the
application that should have a unique identifier. If the application
allows a user to perform multiple tasks you may want to consider each
task a resource. The persistence of the URI in general is not that
important from a users perspective since the URI identifies a resource
that might be reachable from multiple URLs. What is important is that
the URL that a user uses to reach an application persist and not change
as long as users may use the application. We may not expect to see
identical results each time we access http://weather.com/neworleans but
we do expect to get the current weather forecast for New Orleans. If
weather.com switched the URI/L to http://weather.com?city=neworleans,
as a user I would be perturbed to say the least.

As far as dogmatism and URL structure goes, you can always be dogmatic
in the way you structure them. ;-)  The problem with dogmatism is that
it does not always lead to the best solution for a given case. Then
again sometimes it does.

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting
glen at hard-bop.com