cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] Cocoon documentation system
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:35:02 GMT
On 18 Jan 2005, at 09:59, Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>> Forrest - pardon my rudeness - sucks as a static site generation
>>> system. I can't wait to have it shine as a dynamic system :-)
>> What prevents the use of Apache Lenya ?
>
> Nothing or as less as the use of

>  - write my own

:-)

I think we're touching the core of the issue here. Rather than looking
at lists of features, there's a list of requirements. Without any hard
feelings at all, I've lost the ambition or energy to try and motivate
people to shape their requirements to better reflect Daisy's features -
I prefer Daisy users to make a positive choice instead (look at all the
features I got!) rather than a negative one (only 85% of my
requirements are addressed so I'm doomed). Look at how Jira (and in the
future perhaps Confluence) quickly won lots of ASF users - even though
Jira is a pig to keep running (Daisy isn't).

I understand that part of the requirements is to comply with the
existing ASF infrastructure. I've had my opportunity to run a
non-ASF-infra-resource for two years, and I'm happy that I don't have
to check server logs of the Wiki anymore. I do hate the current
documentation system and MoinMoin wiki with a passion though, as its
split personality is obviously not helping people to produce better
documentation. So we definitely need one system, which supports both
Wiki-style grassroots authoring, and a proper software documentation
CMS. And yes, ASF-compliancy means we should be careful about security
if we want to run alongside the code repositories.

The only thing I am worried about is that your system will add a third
option, and that you'll feel the pain in supporting it as I've felt
with the JSPWiki at times. I think it will be very hard to combine both
editorial and technical/logistical work.

Yeah, I'm trying to sell you Daisy, while I don't commit myself to the
documentation overhaul effort. That's because we want to support
Daisy's users (which could very well be the documentation overhaulers),
rather than loose ourselves again in both doing the work, and
supporting the logistics around it. I'm a passive salesman here: I'd be
happy and honoured if Cocoon picks Daisy for its features, but Daisy
doesn't need such a project to succeed.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org