cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Ezkovich <g...@hard-bop.com>
Subject Re: Blocks, Flow and Dependencies [was RE: Splitting xconf files step 2: the sitemap]
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:22:01 GMT

On Jan 13, 2005, at 6:53 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Glen Ezkovich wrote:
>
>> By the way, I'm curious what you think about making a block's
>> resources available. There are two conflicting wiki pages.
>> there is this
>>>      A block exposes a sitemap and Avalon Components (both
>>> optionally)
>> from http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/GT2003RealBlocks
>> and this
>>>     A block exposes two types of services:
>>>     ▪      components
>>>     ▪      resources
>>>     ▪      pipelines ??
>> from http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/BlocksDefinition
>> the second of which gives the following as an example of accessing a
>> resource.
>>>       block:skin:/stylesheets/document2html.xslt
>
> that's outdated. I started off the design thinking that blocks should
> expose resources, but then Sylvain convinced us that this was just
> going to create some problems because at that point you need two
> different protocols one to identify the file space and the other to
> indentify the URL space.
>
> So, if you want to access a resource, use a reader on your sitemap and
> you unify the approach (note that performance wise this is not a
> problem since the caches run in between all this).

Thanks for clarifying this. Its good to know the reason for the
decision. I think I will try to see what I can find in the archives and
get up to full speed on the discussions that have shaped the current
state of the groups understanding of blocks.

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting
glen at hard-bop.com
http://www.hard-bop.com