cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: inner vs. nested classes (was: svn commit: r124685)
Date Sun, 09 Jan 2005 00:57:17 GMT
On Sab, 8 de Enero de 2005, 18:33, Joerg Heinicke dijo:
> On 08.01.2005 23:20, antonio@apache.org wrote:
>> Author: antonio
>> Date: Sat Jan  8 14:20:56 2005
>> New Revision: 124685

>> Log:
>> inner classes -> nested classes
>
> What's the reason for, the advantage of this change?

Inner classes has an automatic access to the members of the enclosing
class (outer object). To do that, inner classes stores a reference to the
particular object.

If we don't need the connection between the inner class object and the
outer class object, then we can make the inner class "static". And this is
commonly called "nested class".

Also a nested class means:

1. We don't need an outer-class object to create an object of the nested
class.

2. We cannot access a non-static outer-class object from an object of a
nested class.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo