cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: Importing libraries from ibiblio
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:38:51 GMT
Hi Sylvain:

I had really bad experiences with this repositories. They are often
outdated with current releases. ie: few days ago, in the repositories i
was not able to find log4j version 1.2.9. I am not sure if now the 1.2.9
is there. I bet is still missing.... Until some charitative soul will take
care of that. Is supposed that Apache jars are automatically in the repos,
but this is not true currently. The situation is worse with non-apache
libraries.

An example of the extra works and what means to work with the nice
repositores:

For util.concurrent 1.3.4, I needed to create a maven bundle and publish
it in the web, then create an issue in maven jira. Then subscribe on the
maven mail-list and push on the mail list to include it. Mein God!

http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@maven.apache.org/msg14465.html

All this was done because I wanted to compile and test apache jcs with
this util.concurrent version before we released cocoon 2.1.5! (jcs use
maven).

Currently our update procedure is a lot easier. I am not against having
repositories, but this will add extra work if we want to have up to date
all our libraries. As we have now. :-D

Another problem is with what version are compiled the jars. We need to
make sure that for 2.1.x branch they need to run in java 1.3 and 1.4 for
2.2.0 branch. And this is not the case with some jars you find in the
repositories.

I am not against repositories, I am just let know the pitfalls that I met
using them.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

On Vie, 14 de Enero de 2005, 4:06, Sylvain Wallez dijo: