cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [FYI] Howard's safety first
Date Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:38:40 GMT
On Friday 28 January 2005 03:48, Steven Noels wrote:
> On 27 Jan 2005, at 17:02, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > I thought it was quite funny myself, but then I realized your 'point'
> > (if any)
> > that Struts is a TLP at Apache. hmmmm.... Can Apache project's
> > compete? And
> > if so, what are the ethical borders?
>
> What are you trying to infer?

Not so much infer at all... But there are a great deal of overlap between some
Apache projects, and I was just wondering if there are (or even if there
should be at all) any guidelines in cross-project market-share competition.
After all the cake is limited, and a project that attracts a larger mass will
typically fare better than those who don't. So to the conclusion is then,
what marketing means are you allowed to engage, and at what cost of other ASF
projects?

> I'd say the same if Howard starts bashing WebWork or any other
> framework out there. Rule #1 in marketing: never compete by talking
> (bad) about your competition - make sure you can stand on your own feet
> when trying to make your point.

That is a good advice, but rhymes pretty bad with the "Hani", as much as I
love the Bile, it is the same twist as Howards one.

Cheers
Niclas