cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Larson <...@keow.org>
Subject Re: CForms in whiteboard with macros and macro repositories
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2005 04:41:25 GMT
On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 10:59:02PM +0100, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Release early, release often, and whiteboard isn't even supposed to
> really work. So that's ok ;-)

I left some bugs so it would be allowed into the whiteboard ;)

Specifically, the editor which combines the editing of the model,
binding, and template in a single page does not quite work yet,
and there is an issue with dynamically detecting changes in macro
repositories which are included by other macro repositories (just
the classic "when should we check for updates, and how deep down
the tree should we check" problem.)

There are some code design issues which will need to be cleaned
up (e.g. TopDefinition, ugh!)  After the fact I realized that
macros should probably use the same namespace wherever they are
used (model, binding, template,...) since they have the same
syntax and semantics everywhere.  There are more features to
add, but basic functionality is working, as you can see in the
separate Swan editors for xreports, sitemaps, models, bindings,
and templates, so I figure it is ready for others to check for
usefulness and start to refine into something which we may
eventually want to merge into the main distribution.

If anybody would like to check this out, read this link:
  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/svn-book.html#svn-ch-4-sect-5
then change to the forms directory:
  cd cocoon/src/blocks/forms
be sure to record your current branch for later reference:
  svn info | grep URL
and use the "svn switch" command to switch to the whiteboard forms:
  svn switch http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/whiteboard/forms
or like this (note the https) if you are a committer:
  svn switch https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/whiteboard/forms

When you want to switch back to the your old branch make sure you
are in the forms directory:
  cd cocoon/src/blocks/forms
then switch back to the branch you recorded earlier:
  svn switch <branch-URL-you-recorded-earlier>

I am not sure, but you might have to do a "build clean" between
building the two branches to get a sucessfully running build.

Note that the whiteboard branch of Cocoon Forms is NOT supported
and the interfaces in it *can and will* be modified on a whim.
This is to allow ideas to be experimented with and refined via
actual shared code (in addition to using chat and email), without
prematurely incurring the burden of support and deprecation cycles.

Since Swan is a heavy user of the current set of experimental
features, it could be viewed as a guinea pig for testing them.
If you modify, add, or remove a cforms feature then please also
edit the Swan samples to match your changes.  This way you can
judge the changes by how they work in practice, rather than just
in the abstract.

> Thanks for this!

You're welcome :)

--Tim Larson