cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Escaping Sitemap Hell
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 02:39:15 GMT
On Thursday 06 January 2005 08:54, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

Good post !

> But you shouldn't require your user to remember
> different URLs for different clients, thats a task for server driven
> content negotiation.
>
> Using .html is not especially future proof, should all links become
> invalid when you decide to reimplement your site with dynamic SVG?

I have thought about this a million times over the last 5 years, and first
concluded "yeah, let's do that", and then back tracked since the file system
is not 'negotiating' and having the same stuff working locally is always a
big plus.

> But it is not a law of nature that it must be like that. It is
> mainly a result of webapp development still being immature and
> the tools being far from perfect. Of course the user should be
> able to bookmark a useful form or wizard.

Now you have the interesting thing of 'temporary URLs' used for session
sensitivity. How often doesn't one bookmark a page and later coming back
"Session has expired" type of resource not found??
Would be real cool if the web app system could help dramatically in this
field.

As a sidenote; Tapestry is battling with these types of problems as well (but
a somewhat different level), and handles it by allowing an interceptor in the
URL encoding/decoding phase. The internal URL space remains, and a
user-created component translates URLs back and forth between the public
space and the internal one.

Cheers
Niclas
--
All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand.

|   http://www.dpml.net        |
|  http://niclas.hedhman.org   |