cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] do me a favor, don't call them taglibs (TAL-like two-step templating?)
Date Sat, 04 Dec 2004 15:34:08 GMT

Le 4 déc. 04, à 14:14, Daniel Fagerstrom a écrit :

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> ...b) "presentation templates" downstream to convert the XML to HTML
>> or other presentation markup (currently covered by XSLT, far from
>> ideal)

>> ...For b), being dreamweaver-compatible would be a big plus, allowing
>> less technical people to create templates themselves....
>
> b) would be nice but it is quite complicated to implement in an
> efficient way. One can of course stream the transformer input to a DOM
> tree that is made available in the context object and then let a JXTG
> like script work on that. But the question is if we would be happy wih
> the performance...

It's hard to say without trying it, but IIUC we can essentially get
this (i.e. reuse the data-to-XML templating mechanism for downstream
transformations) for free, if taken into acount in the design. Just a
simple stream-to-DOM implementation would allow people to experiment.

And it might make a big difference, from the users point of view, by
making it possible to use a single tool for the whole presentation
pipeline, and making presentation templates way easier than raw XSLT,
which is a major stumbling block for many people.

We might want to make it work first, to see how much people like it. If
they like it, I'm sure someone will find a way to make it fast, if
needed.

-Bertrand