cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Templating: experiments with Conal's html-to-xslt transform
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:39:12 GMT
Le 10 déc. 04, à 14:34, Conal Tuohy a écrit :
>> ...the "rules" section works in a
>> different way than the rest.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> I like the idea - in fact I had the same idea myself, but without
> adding a
> special "rules" section. I'm not sure I see the point in keeping it in
> special div? I think it's good to allow people to define templates
> anywhere
> in the template file ... that way you can take a "design dummy" page
> and
> simply annotate it with these attributes without having to rearrange
> it...

OTOH these "inline rules" might make the template more confusing to
said dummy if he needs to work on the page again?

My aim was to make it very clear that the rules are something special
that one must learn (a bit) about, hence the separate section, with
interspersed text a la literal programming, as the rules often need
some explanation to the template author.

Also, the separate section makes it clear that these rules can be
called in any order.

> ...Another thing it really should have is a way to declare global
> parameters,
> passed to it from the sitemap. The old stylesheet I posted the other
> day
> automatically declares parameters "id" and "random" because they were
> common
> requirements of our templates, but it would be better to have to
> declare
> them explicitly. e.g. <html template:parameters="foo bar baz">..

Right - but parameters often need default values, how about using

Where atl:keep means we want to keep it in the HTML output for
debugging or indexing.

> ...I've done some work (not yet finished) on a similar transform to
> jxt, but
> without any pattern-matching templates so far (they're not impossible,
> just
> not quite so easy, because jxt doesn't already have pattern-matching
> templates)...

Cool - but HTML to XSLT already looks very useful!

-Bertrand