cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] do me a favor, don't call them taglibs (TAL-like two-step templating?)
Date Sat, 04 Dec 2004 18:03:05 GMT
Le 4 déc. 04, à 18:56, Stefano Mazzocchi a écrit :

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> ...I think we need
>> a) "data templates" (for a lack of a better word), to generate XML
>> out of data (what JXTG does now),
>> and
>> b) "presentation templates" downstream to convert the XML to HTML or
>> other presentation markup (currently covered by XSLT, far from ideal)
>
> I very much disagree with this.
>
> The notion of separating a data template from a presentation template
> is arbitrary and nothing really generally useful from a SoC point of
> view.

I didn't mean two different *template mechanisms*, rather that we need
templates at two (or several) points in a pipeline, not only at the
beginning of the pipeline as the G in JXTG implies.

Thinking about it, what I was talking about is two *use cases* for the
templating system, with very different point of views and users skills.

> ...What we need is a template language. Period. Something that
> converts data *structures* into SAX events. Whether you use it for
> data or presentation or whatever else, it's up to you...

Fully agreed.

-Bertrand