cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Ezkovich <g...@hard-bop.com>
Subject Re: [Templates] Summary and Voting aspects (was: [RT] Attribute Driven Templates)
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 18:34:58 GMT

On Dec 7, 2004, at 4:18 AM, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> Refactoring JXTG
> ================

I think everything starts here. Once this gets refactored the
opportunities for further development should become apparent. There is
nothing terribly wrong with JXTG, except that it is a monolithic class
with monolithic methods.

> For 1), the back compabillity preserving refactoring of JXTG. I cannot
> see any need for voting about this. Either it gains community support
> in terms of that people joins in design, implementation and testing,
> or it don't. And in that case we just remove it. Then if the new
> refactored implementation should replace the current one and get
> "oficial status", thats certainly something to vote about. Also if we
> develop some new interfaces e.g. for ELs or formaters that we feel
> that should be made part of core, it will also be something that
> should be handled by proposals and votes.
>
> I can assure you that I have no urge to implement everything myself at
> all (as some of you might have noticed I enjoy design descussions and
> proposals more than implementing stuff ;) ),

You mean some people actually LIKE to implement stuff? ;-)

>  I will continue to strive for community involvment. And I will write
> a proposal about how to continue the refactoring as soon as I find
> time.

> Next Generation JXTG
> ====================
>
> This is about how we should continue our development of the template
> language beyond JXTG 1.0. It is purely at the RT stage, no concrete
> design proposals yet. Later there might be proposals in form of
> documents or proof of concept implementations. But that is a later
> question.

And an interesting discussion. I think once people look at the
refactored JXTG and have an itch to scratch you will see a few attempts
at expression language development.

> Attribute Driven Templating
> ===========================
>
> This is ongoing discussions. My hope is that we can design the
> template engine in such a way that the synatx handling part is
> plugable so that attribute and tag driven templates (JXTG) can
> coexist, (although not in the same document ;) ).

I'm guessing that after refactoring JXTG you will see that this is
easily doable. I'm only guessing because I have only taken a brief look
at JXTG's code, but one of the goals of refactoring is to organize the
code properly.

>  But that is a technical quiestion IMO. Anyway, we need to discuss the
> consequences of dirrerent syntaxes a little bit more before
> implementing anything.

You mean defining the language. No one wants to implement. ;-)

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting
glen at hard-bop.com
http://www.hard-bop.com