cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <>
Subject Re: [RT] do me a favor, don't call them taglibs (TAL-like two-step templating?)
Date Sat, 04 Dec 2004 08:37:10 GMT
Le 3 déc. 04, à 22:35, Christian Stocker a écrit :

> ....On 3.12.2004 21:50 Uhr, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> All I ask from a template language:
>>  1) something that HTML designers can edit with Dreamweaver
>>  2) something that doesn't use namespaced tags to identify dynamic
>> scopes (clashes with #1)
>>  3) something that doesn't use the name taglib
> >
> > That's pretty much all you have to do to make me happy.
> Maybe Zope's TAL idea is something for you.
> They are very fond of the fact that it's "Dreamweaver-Compatible"

I think we need

a) "data templates" (for a lack of a better word), to generate XML out
of data (what JXTG does now),

b) "presentation templates" downstream to convert the XML to HTML or
other presentation markup (currently covered by XSLT, far from ideal)

  - oo -

For a), JXTG does a good job currently, but having a single mechanism
for both would make a big difference in the number of things that
people have to learn to be productive with Cocoon.

For b), being dreamweaver-compatible would be a big plus, allowing less
technical people to create templates themselves. Using Dreamweaver or
not, that's not the point: DW-compatibility also means that the
templating system is "simple enough" for such people to grasp.

  - oo -

To me, TAL's design looks simple for simple things, yet powerful and
extensible.  Looks like an example to follow, maybe even like a spec to
adopt instead of reinventing it..

> ...I once started implementing that in my own framework (a php based
> cocoon ripoff ;)

ah good. sometimes people ask what popoon is, now we know how to
describe it ;-) ;-)

View raw message