cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Ezkovich <g...@hard-bop.com>
Subject Re: [Design] JXTG 2.0 (Just my opinion)
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 20:40:46 GMT

On Dec 3, 2004, at 1:33 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi said:
>>
>> <-- stuff removed -->
>>
>> ${myDate as month}
>>
>> <-- stuff removed -->
>> --
>> Stefano.
>
> Not that I disagree with you, but why don't you consider your example
> be a taglib?  Perhaps I'm just reading more generality into the
> discussions than is really there, but I haven't seen anyone state that
> "taglibs" must be of the form <namespace:op namespace:attr="token">,
> etc.
>
> Frankly, the part that has worried me the most is the discussion of SQL
> and templates in the same email.  From my perspective SQL queries are
> part, of or simply are, the model.  Templates, on the other hand are
> generally part of the view. Although they may be used in an
> intermediate
> step to reformat the data in the model, this is just a smaller version
> of
> MVC where the view is the reformatted data.

I'm not sure I agree that templates as being part of the view. I look
at them more as providing XML structure to the data.

> In other words, templates that do anything other than accessing already
> available data and rendering "formatted" data should a) not be
> possible,
> or b) be discouraged.

Most definitely agreeded.

> Notice "already available data". That means you
> shouldn't have tag libraries or whatever that do the SQL query, invoke
> business methods or whatever. That should all be done via business
> methods
> invoked by actions or flow (i.e. the controller).

Usually, I can see an SQLTemplateGenerator that uses no flow. It
connects and queries the database, i.e. generates the data, and then
injects into a template.

Here is a reasonable replacement for XSP and ESQL. Hopefully there will
be no view. (But you know there will be. :-( )

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting
glen at hard-bop.com
http://www.hard-bop.com