cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Ezkovich <ge...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [Design] JXTG 2.0 (Just say yes!)
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 03:51:17 GMT
I was working on an extremely long e-mail about this but Torsten,
Stefano and a repentant Miles covered most of my points. Thanks for the
help and for allowing me to waste my time :-P

However...

It seems that you are trying to do more then just replace the current
functionality JXTG. You want to include the possibility processing the
kitchen sink. I think this is what's bothering many of us. This will
lead to breaking the separation of concerns. While implementing this in
a template may seem better then implementing it in an XSP, in the end I
suspect it will be just as ugly. The only thing that will change is the
syntax. Semantically, it will be just as ugly. There is already too
much power in the existing JXTG.

On the other hand, I find the idea of a general template generator
intriguing. I think you might be on to something, but I think you are
missing it. Ok so you want a replacement for JXTG, create a tag library
and have the template generator use it. You want the functionality of
ESQL without XSP, create a tag library for it. Want to process CSVs,
write a tag library for it. Want to process excel spreadsheets, create
a tag library.

The problem is that generally you declare the libraries in the document
in which they are used and can use as many libraries as you want. This
is where the evil part of tag libs comes in. It allows you to do
anything and everything in one place. No separation of concerns can be
enforced. View, controller, model all can be intermingled. Suppose,
that instead of allowing all Tag Libraries to be used by the generator,
each generator could only use one library. That is JXTG could only
process JXTG tags, SQLTG could only process ESQL tags, ExcelTG could
only process EXCEL tags, etc.

TemplateGenerator is a perfect candidate for an abstract class. Each
subclass just needs to have a Tag Library with which to work. This
makes it much easier to implement other template generators just
implement a new Tag Library and some constructors. Of course nothing
prevents someone from adding multiple libraries to their generator
should they choose to do so. They can deal with the consequences.

This gives you the flexibility in design you want. It gives you the
functionality that you want, since it is unlikely that you will want to
access java objects and then access a database. It also helps limit the
abuse that tag libraries can engender.

Just my 0.02 €.

Now if I could just come up with a way to keep all html tags out of the
JX templates.

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting
glen at hard-bop.com