cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Ezkovich <ge...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [Design] JXTG 2.0 (Just say yes!)
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 15:22:01 GMT

On Dec 6, 2004, at 8:49 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 6 déc. 04, à 15:41, Glen Ezkovich a écrit :

>>> +1, it might be good to have pluggable languages but run-time
>>> switching is definitely FS - and confusing as well.
>>
>> Thank you. Think this approach is applicable to the tag vs. attribute
>> debate?
>
> Sure. Having mixed languages or mixed tag/attributes templating
> mechanisms in the same template sounds equally confusing.

LOL. It did seem obvious to me. Should never have phrased it as a
question.

I think this might also work in other ways as well. Considering the
heat of the taglib debate (where, I think a lot of misunderstanding
occurred on both sides), this might be able to get the benefits of
using a taglib like approach to the implementation of template
generators/transformers. Same basic component gets a tag/attribute
library evaluator (excuse the phrase, brain freeze occurred concerning
the proper term ... or maybe I got it right ;-)). Seems that this way
the only difference between a JXTG and a SQLTG would be the way they
were configured in the sitemap and the library they were configured to
use.

The approach could be flexible enough to allow any combination to be
configured, allowing those who think they have such a use case, to
commit virtual suicide. Saner minds can do their best to prevent abuse
by threatening immediate termination upon such egregious configuration
of components.  ;-)

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting
glen at hard-bop.com