cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Orbeon vs Cocoon?
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:42:21 GMT
Hi Helma,

> ...Has anyone of you looked at Orbeon (www.orbeon.com)?..

There have been discussions here from time to time, search for OXF in
the mailing lists archives.

I've talked to one of their head developers a while ago (hmm....two
years I think, time flies ;-) and my impression was that they were
trying to cover more or less the same needs than Cocoon, but from a
"we're a commercial company" perspective, which IIUC they believed
would be more likely to be accepted by Fortune 500 folks.

As we know, this is not the case, Fortune 500 companies prefer open
source ;-)

Only half-kidding here. I don't know where Orbeon as a company stands
now (and I wish them all the best, honest), but it seems like companies
which have gone the open source route have been very happy in 2004. It
is my case (as a micro-company of one ;-), and I'm certainly not alone
given the kind of success stories that we heard at the GT2004.

Dunno what the OXF license is today, at the time it was closed.
The Wayback Machine helps if their website is down:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.orbeon.com

-Bertrand