cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Orbeon vs Cocoon? - Live version available?
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:44:32 GMT
Le 17 déc. 04, à 15:34, Steven Noels a écrit :

> ...As of currently, I think what worries me most is alienation of the
> user community. I must say I don't know many projects where the ratio
> of developers vs users is comparable to Cocoon's - which means (IMHO)
> that you almost need to be a Cocoon dev before you can actually use
> the product. That's asking too much patience from a user who isn't
> interested in framework, but wants to build business applications
> instead..

I understand and share your worries but - do you really think one can
build a serious application with Cocoon without having at least one
skilled java/xslt programmer and "integrator" (like someone "who knows
a little about a lot of things") on the team?

I've come to the conclusion this year that having these skills in the
team (even if it's just one senior developer) is a prerequisite once
you go beyond simple read-only publishing applications.

Which means: no need to "dumb down" Cocoon IMO, but rather communicate
precisely about what it is and who it is for. People will be thankful
if they fail early instead of wasting their time, or if they realize
early on that they need certain skills in their team to reach the high
productivity levels that Cocoon enables.

-Bertrand