cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Ezkovich <ge...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [Design] JXTG 2.0 (Just my opinion)
Date Sat, 04 Dec 2004 20:03:14 GMT

On Dec 4, 2004, at 3:37 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 3 déc. 04, à 21:40, Glen Ezkovich a écrit :
>> ...I'm not sure I agree that templates as being part of the view. I
>> look at them more as providing XML structure to the data....
>
> We need both actually - if you work with the "two-step view" pattern
> (which is very natural with Cocoon), you need a first set of templates
> to generate XML out of your data, and a second set to transform the
> XML into the final presentation format.
>
> Currently we have JXTG for the first step, and mostly XSLT for the
> second. Having something that could cover both steps and be usable by
> either programmers working on the first step or designers working on
> the second would be a Really Good Thing.

I'm not really sure what you mean by having something that could cover
both steps. JXTG covers both steps in the sense that many people are
using it to inject their data into their html.  Now, to have a template
transformer, that is something with which I would really like to play.
I'm not very found of XSL. A simpler alternative could be a Really,
Really Good Thing.

> -Bertrand
>
> [1] http://www.martinfowler.com/eaaCatalog/twoStepView.html

One of my favorites books. ;-)