cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Ezkovich <ge...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Attribute Driven Templates
Date Sun, 05 Dec 2004 16:48:28 GMT

On Dec 5, 2004, at 8:04 AM, Leszek Gawron wrote:

> Fine by me. The only concern is the performance here. Macro would have
> to be played, output recorded and after that omitTag invoked. I'd
> rather do it otherwise.

As is usually, my advice is that unless you know what the performance
hit will be in advance, implement, test and if the performance is
unacceptable, profile and only when you know exactly what the cause is,
optimize.  Quite often the obvious performance bottleneck, isn't.
Similarly, though the expected bottleneck shows up just where expected,
the performance hit is much milder then expected and performance is
acceptable.

I don't mean to suggest that you don't even think about performance at
this point, just that we concentrate on functionality. If you can show
by past experience that implementing in a certain way will slow things
to a crawl, then by all means, show us and suggest a way around them.

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting
glen at hard-bop.com
http://www.hard-bop.com