cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Templating: experiments with Conal's html-to-xslt transform
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:07:30 GMT
Le 10 déc. 04, à 13:18, Daniel Fagerstrom a écrit :

> ...Looks nice to me. I would sugest that you put the xslt with some
> working examples in the samples directory in the template block. So it
> becomes easier to experiment with and enhance...

Sure - I was going to wait a bit for feedback though, as this is really
not specific to Cocoon, only to XSLT, so maybe some non-committers can
collaborate on the wiki before going to SVN.

> ...I think that puting a name space on the attribute directives is a
> must. It makes it much easier to see what is code and what is data at
> a glance. Also it cooperates much better with a strict XHTML scheme...

You're right, we need to namespace the attributes, it's much cleaner.

> ...I have not tested how it work or read the XSLT in detail, but I
> wonder about the CSS rules in the style section, will not the XSLT try
> to expand their bodies? You could use the same escaping as in XSLT
> attributes:
>
> body {{ font-family: Georgia,sans-serif; }}

No need to do that, the <script> element is copied verbatim when
creating the final XSLT. The wiki example works as is.

> ...   <div class="content">
>        <h2>{@title}</h2>
>
>        <!-- This copies paragraphs in the input: -->
>           copy-of=".">
>          Example paragraph

Is that a rule, or does this mean that all <p> will come before the

I think rules are needed, our xdocs are a good use case: they contain
some stuff that is already xhtml-compatible, that you only need to copy
with small adjustments, as in my example where I add a border on the

For me, the template author just wants to say "all <table> elements
must be copied with border=1 added", but he has no idea in which order
the elements will appear in the source, and shouldn't have to care.

Does your for-each syntax allow this? I think it requires declarative
rules, and if we're careful about how they are defined, they won't be
too scary and will add a lot of power. I've put my rules in a separate
div on purpose, to make it clear that the template has a "linear" part
and another "rules" section, and that the "rules" section works in a
different way than the rest.

WDYT?

-Bertrand