cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Splitting cocoon.xconf: done
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:21:34 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>>> Why are relative files resolved relative to the context and not to
>>> the location of the cocoon.xconf?
>>

>> Good question :-)
>>
>> At first, I thought relative URIs should be relative to the current
>> file,
>
> Yepp, that was my thought as well.
>
> > but then looked at how sourceresolving is done everywhere else in
>
>> Cocoon: URIs are relative to the current sitemap (i.e. the context in
>> case of the root sitemap): "src" attributes in the sitemap, includes
>> in CInclude and XInclude, etc. AFAIK, only XSLT's includes and
>> imports are handled differently because it's mandated by the XSLT spec.
>>
>> So, I decided to use the standard sourceresolving mechanism in xconf
>> also.
>>
>> How does that sound?
>>
> Confusing :) It's not a big deal, but without thinking - as a dumb
> user (and I'm very good in acting like someone who can't think at all)
> - I
> would expect that a relative path in the cocoon.xconf is resolved
> relative to the cocoon.xconf like it happens with paths in the sitemap.

Not exactly: paths in the sitemap are relative to the sitemap location
because this is the location that defines the local context. Now if you
consider e.g. a file in "subdir/blah.xml" that has a <cinclude:include
src="foo.xml"/>, then that "foo.xml" will be resolved relative to the
sitemap location (i.e. the local context) and not relative to "subdir".

That's why I chose this way or resolving relative URIs.

> The cocoon.xconf is the core configuration for cocoon, so when it is
> consulted there is no sitemap.

Yes, but there is a context, which is the same than the one used for the
root sitemap ;-)

> If you use the include (of components) in a sitemap, then I assume
> that it is resolved relative to the location of this sitemap and not
> to the context.

I see a misunderstanding: "context" (or "local context") is not to be
confused with "root context". When loading the root cocoon.xconf, the
local context is the root context. When loading a sitemap, the local
context is the sitemap location and any <include> in <map:component>
will use that local context.

So, to summarize, <include> uses the local context (either root context
or sitemap location), but not the configuration file's location.

How does that sound to a dumb user? ;-)

Sylvain