cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject New structure of Cocoon documentation and doc repositories
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:57:05 GMT

If we talk about documentation we usually mean all the documents available at
http://cocoon.apache.org. I think it's time to look at our documentation in a
more differentiated way.

Currently we have a

  - project documentation (who we are, download, ...)
  - manuals for each minor and major release (1.x, 2.0, 2.1)

Project documentation and manuals are mixed up. That's the first thing we have
to improve as they have different lifecycles.

I propose following structure:

  (A)
  - Project
    - Vision
    - License
    - History
    - ...
  - Community
    - How to contribute
    - Wiki
    - Issue tracking
    - SVN
    - ...
  (B)
  - Getting started
    - Your first example in two minutes
    - Base "concepts" (pipelines, flow, SoC, forms)
    - Cocoon tutorial introducting into these base concepts
     (Bertrand's tour block)
    - ...
  - Core documentation
    - ...

(A) and (B) are *separate* Forrest repositories.

  (A) ... contains Project and Community
          SVN: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/project-docs

  (B) ... contains the *latest* manual

               http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/getting-started/

          SVN:
          http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/src/documentation

          (older manuales are reachable through 2nd-level-tabs.

Following this structure we ensure stable URLs, have the documentation as
close to the sources as possible, one repository for one concern and we can
produce manual and getting-started PDFs with default features.

Other thougths?
If people are fine with this, I'm going to setup repository (A) and (B) next
week and put them into SVN.

--
Reinhard