cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Coboos <cromo...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: [vote] splitting cocoon.xconf
Date Fri, 24 Dec 2004 01:15:54 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Team, here's a formal vote about splitting cocoon.xconf.
>
> I propose to add a new <import> feature in cocoon.xconf so that
> adding/removing blocks to a Cocoon instance doesn't require do merge
> each block's configuration in a unique cocoon.xconf file as of today.
>
> With this feature, cocoon.xconf can simply be a list of imports, thus
> allowing to very easily add/remove blocks in a Cocoon application. For
> more background, please see the initial "splitting cocoon.xconf" post
> [1].
>
> The first implementation will focus on basic import (one file per
> <import> element), and later on we'll implement globbing features
> proposed by Carsten [2].
>
> Please cast your votes.
>
> Here's my +1 (of course!)
>
> Sylvain
>
> [1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=110354180900487&w=2
> [2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=110361460811792&w=2

If I'm allowed to vote here: +1000 ! Really good idea!

One suggestion:
Why not optionally scanning the folder WEB-INF for files having a
special suffix (e.g. *.inc.xconf) and then, including the content of
this files under the root element <cocoon/> in cocoon.xconf? This avoids
any changes of cocoon.xconf if own components must be included. Just
placing such a file in WEB-INF makes the component or block working.
This makes it very easy to provide own components for customers by using
build processes like Ant.

Maybe two possibilities: An import element <import/> to import a special
file and a element <import-files/> to scan a certain folder for files to
include at the specified position. An example:
<import-files dir="context://WEB-INF/xconf-includes" suffix=".inc.xconf"/>

WDYT?

Ahh, after reading the messages of the posted links above, I saw,
Carsten has already posted an similar idea. Nevertheless, I will post
this message, too ;-) Just to express that this feature would very very
nice!!

Regards
Stephan