cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Splitting cocoon.xconf (was Re: Cocoon, a Huge, Scary Beast?)
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:15:15 GMT
Peter Hunsberger wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:51:52 +0100, Sylvain Wallez <sylvain@apache.org> wrote:
>
><snip>syntax discussion</snip>
>

>>This is a good compromise between automagically loading all *.xconf (see
>>my previous answer to Reinhard) and having to explicitely declare all
>>imports one by one.
>>
>>However, that will work only if Cocoon doesn't run in an unexpanded war
>>file. But that should not be a real problem as most deployments are
>>using expanded wars,
>>

>Really?  How on earth can you make such a definitive statement?

I haven't written that all deployments run expanded (how could I know?).
It just seems to me that it's a rather common practice for app servers
to be configured to expand war files.

>We run development expanded much of the time, but production unexpanded, such a behaviour
could catch at least some people by surprise...

As I wrote below, globbing won't be available in such cases (AFAIK we
cannot list the contents of a "directory" in an unexpanded war) but we
can provide a clear runtime explanation that imports should be explicit
in such cases.

>>and we can provide some meaningful error messages if ever the situation arises.
>>
>>So, let's implement the basic <import> first and add little sweeties afterwards
;-)

>Sounds like a good way to go.

Cool!

Sylvain