cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Component confs per sitemap [was: [RT]]
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:01:17 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>Can you elaborate on "looks like"? If we load the roles files
>>from the classpath, this means we define a naming contract
>>for these files, e.g.
>>either org/apache/cocoon/cocoon.roles as of today or
>>META-INF/services/org.apache.cocoon.core.RoleManager.
>>
>>So files that "look like" roles file are very likely to be
>>actual role files and nothing else :-)
>>

>Yepp, that's true - hmm, hmm, ahh,

:-D

>what if I just want to drop
>a particular jar into cocoon as it contains some nice classes.
>And of course this jar contains such a roles file, but I don't
>want to get the components added to cocoon; i just want to
>use the classes. :)

A component isn't added to Cocoon unless it is explicitely declared in
the xconf file. Ah yes, there's also the implicit declaration when a
role has a default-class. But this implicit declaration only happens
when the code looks up the component, meaning it does more that just
using the classes ;-)

>Ok, I admit this is very rare - hmm, let me see what other
>arguments might be against your approach...hmm
>
>Ah, if we scan for all role files contained in the jar, all
>of these roles are added to the root service manager. But
>perhaps I want to restrict the access to those components
>by adding them somewhere down in the hierarchy. This
>only works by explicitly declaring them, e.g. in the sitemap.

Mmmh... what does "restrict the access" mean? If the class exists in the
jar, anyone can use the component by adding an inline role in their
xconf (<component-instance role="..."/>).

The only way we can really restrict access, is by having a per-sitemap
classloader or... real blocks!

Try again ;-)

Sylvain